Republican Congressman Accuses Boehner of Wasting Taxpayer Money with Lawsuit
Well. That was awkward.
Right after Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH) vehemently denied that he was gunning for impeachment with his lawsuit against the President, Congressman Walter Jones (R-NC) insisted that Boehner should stop the “theater”, calling his lawsuit a “show” that will waste millions of taxpayer funds.
No, it’s not that Jones is against a partisan witch hunt. It’s not that Jones is pulling for his party to find some measure of sanity. Oh, no. His suggestion is that Boehner should just impeach the President.
According to The Hill, Jones said, “Why not impeach instead of wasting $1 million to $2 million of the taxpayers’ money? … If you’re serious about this, use what the founders of the Constitution gave us.”
This came out on the day that Republicans are voting on their “lawsuit” (aka, Get Out the Vote project), which the Republican lawmaker from North Carolina has just made sure you know is going to cost you between $1-2 million dollars. Jones used to be a Democrat when he was first elected back in 1982. He switched parties in 1994 and used a picture of his opponent jogging with Bill Clinton to rile up the anti-gay sentiment at the time.
Just yesterday Boehner said it was a scam for Democrats to claim Republicans wanted to impeach the President. And yet, as I detailed yesterday, there has been a steady drumbeat by Republicans for impeachment and it comes from the same folks who managed to get the Republican Party to shutdown the government. It’s not as if they aren’t running the show.
Furthermore, PoliticusUSA’s Jason Easley busted Boehner in a massive lie as he made the “scam” charge:
Rep. Boehner claimed that the impeachment talk was started by the president and Democrats, only it wasn’t. Back in January, Boehner hinted at impeachment, “We’re just not going to sit here and let the President trample all over us. This idea that he’s just going to go it alone, I have to remind him we do have a constitution. And the Congress writes the laws, and the President’s job is to execute the laws faithfully. And if he tries to ignore this he’s going to run into a brick wall.”
In May 2013, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) claimed that President Obama could be impeached for Benghazi. During an August 2013 town hall, Rep. Blake Farenthold admitted to constituents that House Republicans are aching to impeach the president. In October 2013, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) threatened to impeach the president if the country defaulted. InJune 2014, the South Dakota Republican Party passed a resolution that called for Obama to be impeached. Sarah Palin claimed that God wants President Obama impeached.
The list of Republican calls for Obama impeachment is endless, so it is a ridiculous lie for Boehner to claim that Democrats are behind the impeachment talk.
Poor John Boehner. He can’t even control the press his caucus gives, let alone the bills they kill or their government shutdowns.
Here’s an idea for the Republicans. Instead of wasting $1-2 million on a meritless lawsuit against the President and instead of trying to impeach him for acting like he’s president, why don’t Republicans actually do something that will give them something to run on – give people a reason to vote for them besides hate.
In the meantime, Representative Jones has done the public a service by reminding them that they are footing the bill for Republicans’ political desperation.
Ms. Jones is a Senior White House and Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA. Since joining Politicus in February of 2009, Sarah has been quoted by Talking Points Memo, The Atlantic Wire, CNN, MSNBC, The Week, The Hollywood Reporter, The Richard Dawkins Foundation and more. Sarah co-hosts Politicus Radio with Jason Easley and is the political correspondent for KPTR 1450′s California Woman 411, hosted by Dee Jae Cox. Sarah is an award-winning producer with a background in TV/Film (TV host, news anchor, producer writer) and a member of the Screen Actors Guild/AFTRA and SPJ. Sarah graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a major in Psychology minor in Latin. She spends her free time dancing (ballet) and horseback riding (English).
You may also be interested in…
- Tan Scam: Boehner Caught In A Lie While Blaming Democrats… Rep. John Boehner (R-OH) got caught in a massive lie when he claimed today that the talk of impeaching President Obama is a Democratic scam. Boehner seems to have forgotten his own threat to impeach the president.
- America Refudiates Sarah Palin As 65% Reject Her Call For… Last weekend Sarah Palin claimed that God wants President Obama impeached, but according to a new CNN poll, 65% of the American people disagree with both Palin and her version of God.
- Top House Republican Admits That There Are No Grounds To… The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee admitted today that Republicans have no grounds for articles of impeachment against President Obama.
- John Boehner Coldly Shoots Down Sarah Palin’s Call For When Speaker of the House John Boehner was asked about Sarah Palin’s call for President Obama to be impeached, he answered with a frown and two words, “I disagree.”
- Top House Republican Refuses To Say That The GOP Won’t On Fox News Sunday, House Republican Whip Steve Scalise refused to take impeaching President Obama off the table when asked about impeachment.
I Agree(0)No Way(0)